Search This Blog

Monday, April 22, 2019

Happy Earth Day!

         
      

            Hello Earthlings, and happy Earth Day! I wanted to do something a little different than what I usually do. (Come here, complain about something- probably boys, and have some self-revelation.) I wanted to talk about Earth Day because at the end of the day one thing all 7 billion of us have in common is- we all call this planet “home.”
            I am not an expert by any means, nor am I climate change activist, but as someone who loves the outdoors- I wanted to talk about a few things that we can do to help our beautiful home today and every day. Anything I mention are non-affiliated, I just want to share my preference/experiences.
            How can you do your part today and every day? You don’t have to go vegan, or revert to the stone age methods of candles and outhouses. There are plenty of small things you can do that can make a big impact over time.
Here are some things I try my best to do:

·      Turning off the water while you brush your teeth
·      Take shorter showers
·      Use reusable water bottles
·      Brown bag it, except use a lunch box
·      Use Tupperware instead of sandwich bags
·      Bring reusable bags to the grocery store
·      Sometimes you’ll forget your reusable bags, it happens. Just find a purpose for the plastic bags you get. I use them in the small trash cans around the house. (I’ve used them as a lunch bag when I couldn’t find my lunch box and I was in a pinch.)
·      Turn off the lights when you leave a room (assuming you leaving makes the room empty)
·      Recycle whatever you can, when you can
·      Buy local! Go to a farmer’s market and support local farmers
·      Make a plan on how you can reduce waste in your household. Whether it be recycling, making food before it spoils, or going beyond and starting your own compost!
·      If you see a piece of trash, pick it up and throw it away
·      Can you carpool or bike to wherever you were headed?
·      Buy recycled clothes
·      Buy cruelty free products, and products that come in recycled bottles

I once saw Oprah Winfrey on the Ellen show and she said one thing she would never give up is her high-water pressure in the shower. Honestly, I felt that. But there are plenty of things she does in return of that extra water waste.
Healthier, smarter alternatives don’t have to be a nuisance. Most don’t cost you extra. In fact, a lot of these can save you money. Wasting less food, lower electric/water bills, you could even take your recycling to a facility for cash.
Even if you don’t alter your ways, I doubt you just sit down and burn fossil fuels in your spare time. At least get outside today. Enjoy the fresh air, take a hike, walk your dog, take the kids to the park. Take a few minutes to be grateful for the world we live in, no matter how broken it seems sometimes.
Down below is some Earth Day inspiration for you. From music to foundations that benefit not just earth, but the beautiful creatures we share it with. When we help each other- we all win!

Earth Day Playlist:
Earth – Lil Dicky
What Do I Know? - Ed Sheeran
In This Together – Ellie Goulding
Woodland – The Paper Kites
Big Yellow Taxi – I prefer the Counting Crows remake, but feel free to opt for the original by Joni Mitchell
How Far We’ve Come – Matchbox 20
Waiting on the World to Change – John Mayer
Man in the Mirror – Michael Jackson
Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles
Somewhere Over the Rainbow – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

Earth Day Netflix & Chill
Planet Earth
Tales by Light
Frozen Planet
Wild Alaska

Earth Day Donations:
Wildlife Warriors (Wildlife conservation started by Steve & Terri Irwin)
Protect Our Winters (POW for climate change by snowboarder Jeremy Jones)
Oceana (Ocean cleanup by actor Ted Danson)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

Normalizing Not Being Ok...

 2022 has knocked me on my ass. There is no sugar coating it. If January is any representation of how the year is going to go, I am beyond u...

Popular